Friday, February 20, 2009

Marriages in North India

This years valentines day was the day for me to head to Jaipur to attend two marriages of my ex and present colleague. Having no familiarity with the marriages here i set out to jaipur with a lot of excitement will all the scenes from our Hindi movies at the back of my mind running through out . I was curious to experience the celebrations that I saw in movies first hand .
I departed from Bikaner house Delhi to board the RSRTC( www.rsrtc.gov.in) Deluxe bus at 11.45pm . When the engine of the bus had started it was 00.05am IST . When I boarded off the bus at jaipur it was 5 am in morning . It very chilly in jaipur as well . ..
By the time my home stay coordinator arrived it was around 6 am.We headed towards the home stay at " Cosy Home " in Bani park that I had booked earlier through www.jaipurpride.com . The home stay was very clean and hygienic . U actually feel at home . Mr Mahesh Tukki a very friendly and knowledgeable owner of the home stay was very hospitable . After all my morning ablutions and the complementary breakfast , I headed for my first wedding venue, ie Nikhils, at " ManasSarovar " . Marriages in north India are different from the south . Their set rituals include the "Chaak Baath , Nikasi , barath , preeth bhoj ,panigrahan sanskar. The Marriage day Ceremony starts at the grooms place and they head to the wedding venue with the Barath , That's a entourage from the guys side .All the members of the grooms side wear " Pagadi" a traditional headgear after which the barath heads to the venue .
Just look at Nikhil , isn't he happy !?
Then the baaraath heads to the wedding venue with all the Song and dance activity through out the path . Its sheer joy to be a part of the wedding as you get to witness the members of the family Dancing and rejoicing the whole event .


I got to witness all kind of styles typical to the place . Right from the traditional Marwari , Punjabi to freestyle dancing.Whole dancing in the baarath is the manifestation of the love and happiness associated with the groom . Every time a person used to feel happy or get elated they used to stop the baarath and request the band set guys to play their favorite song so that they dance on that song . With all the high energy dancing and the walking the baarath reached the venue at around 8 .



Then there were traditional welcome to the groom into the Venue by the brides family . As clock started to tick away from 8 I was getting late for my second appearance at Ashok's wedding . I wished Nikhil from far wholeheartedly and left the venue .






( Nikhil and Richa engaged in pooja )

Ashoks wedding was at Hotel Haveli near Statue circle . I took a rick and zapped into his wedding for Preeth bhoj . Most of the weddings here are organised in Lawns or gardens unlike the marriage halls in the south . The first impression that I got was the elaborate and ornate designs of the stage where the couples were seated . The whole of the park/garden is lit with various coloured lights . It appeared to me as if iI have entered some mega set of movie with all that light and decor .





When I entered the crowd had abated at the stage .Ashok and Khushboo were seated relaxed . They were looking like the prince and princess . Really
! with Ashok looking Smart and handsome with his Sherwani and the Pagadi and Khushboo with Her elaborately and exquisitely designed Sari . After a brief introduction of me to Khushboo by Ashok I handed over the gift( Read as trailer gift) that i purchased in all the hustle and bustle. After taking pics of the couple I headed over to have my dinner . Three fourth of the periphery of the lawn wit various food counters . I was confused where to start from . I took tour of the food counters and decided to start with salads first . Food needs a special mention as that is close to my heart . The food spread included salads , pickles , various varieties of Indian bread , side dishes , crackers , sweets , chats , namkeens , fruits , ice creams , sharbats , shakes , pan . every item had at least 5 to 6 varieties .I decide to dig in all the possible varieties . The most memorable item was the Makki di roti that was served hot and fresh dipped completely in molten butter . Ahh ! it was just amazing with the veg kofta curry . It was getting late for me . When i looked at my watch it screamed 11.15. Jaipur is no place with night life . So one needs to head back soon at the latest by 12 in the night . These were the words of wisdom put into my ears by the home stay owner . After realizing those words I did my final set of picture grabbing of the wedding ,the venue and booked a radio taxi and headed towards the home stay .
It was 12.10 by the time reached the home stay . when I set to sleep gradually each and and every frame of the baarath and the marriage rolled on when i shut my eyes. When I Opened my eyes it was a warm sun light peeping through the window to welcome me for yet another day , a day to go back to Noida .

8 comments:

Jaipur Pride said...

Homestays in jaipur,Home stay in jaipur,Hotels in Jaipur,Homestay B & B jaipur,homestay bed & breakfast jaipur,Budget Hotels in Jaipur

ArunSachi said...

thanks for visiting my blog

Bharath said...

arun....

nalie said...

Hi,

How would you describe riding in a deluxe train? I'm considering to take either deluxe or superluxury from Jaipur to Agra. Please advice. I don't like to sound too picky, but I wouldnt want to be too tired and uncomfortable bec when I arrive in Agra, I'll be touring it in just one day! :P Hence, I might need strength :P

Rajasthantraveling said...

Good job dear I like your way to present your opinion.I like your blog its very attractive.India is such a wonderful place to travel the adventure tours, Historical monuments, safari tours, Himalayas tracking tours and many more thousands of visitors came across the world to travel India. Tour Packages to North India

ArunSachi said...

Thanks Rajasthantravelling , for your commnets .looking forward for same support ahead as well .

Final year projects said...

Marriages of the North Indians really makes us to feel "Life is Beautiful",theirs are the different tradition............

ArunSachi said...

Hi there , yes they are very interesting and filled with fun and frolic throught the ceremony .. I loved It . :)

 
Web Statistics